Schadenfreude StudiosBeta Test Welcome, Guest 
Username   Password
Forgot your password? Get a new one!
Not a member? Sign up!


Schadenfreude Studios > Pencil & Paper > Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)


ÂmesangDescending Into The Depths  May 13, 2011 6:02 AM | Post #21
has lost the game





urning her attention back towards the shrine, the woman gazed at her family's crest as the blood it had been stained with quickly vanished, engulfed entirely by the same, eerie light as before. Although she had hoped that this strange phenomena would result in some change, it came about by a most unexpected means; the ground beneath her shook violently, causing the young ranger to fall hard to the ground. Looking up, she noticed that the shrine had moved some distance backwards, revealing a set of stairs that led into a dimly lit world beyond. Clambering to her feet, she slung her pack over her shoulders again, stuffing the crowbar within her belt for the moment so as to keep one of her hands free… just in case she needed to draw her blade. With slow but sure steps she moved towards the opening and peered through it, her heart racing and her nerves quivering at this feeling of new found excitement. Past the layers of dust and tattered cobwebs she noticed rows of torches on either side of the stairwell, trace amounts of smoke rising forth from those on the right.

She was not alone.

Holding aloft her everburning torch she made her way down into the depths of the shrine, hugging the wall as a violent aftershock ripped through the ground, forcing the shrine shut and entombing her in darkness. Her footing all but lost she remained steady, placing her free hand against the wall to help keep her balance as she climbed the remaining steps downward until she reached the end. Laying in rest before her was a large room holding within its confines four coffins of ancient craftsmanship. To her surprise, however, three of these coffins were laid bare, their former contents raided of all that had been deemed valuable by their intruders. The fact that there had been four crests upon the shrine and that there were four coffins within was not lost on her, and she immediately began to examine them more closely to determine whether or not one of the open coffins belonged to her ancestors, or if that honor was to fall upon the one still sealed. Out of the corner of her eye she also noticed markings on the floor with only trace amounts of dust. Praying that they were tracks belonging to the feline she began to call out to it, but held her hand to the grip of her greatsword just in case the markings belonged to something more.



GAME: It took me awhile to understand how the password system of the dice roller actually worked, but I was able to get my rolls to display on two different browsers so here's hoping it'll be saved for everyone. Setting the password first appears to load the saved results, so it would be wise to do that before one begins rolling their dice.

Her Acrobatics check against the first quake was a failure (it's not a class skill for rangers, and with her armor and load her modifier's only a "+0" (or a "+3" for jumping!). I'm also having her roll for Bluff, Handle Animal, and Wild Empathy because, in case the feline is inside the room with her, I figured it'd be the best way to call out to it (aside from maybe meowing… or squeaking like a mouse?).

So, without further ado:

Acrobatics: 1d20(6) + 0 = 6
Acrobatics II: 1d20(18) + 0 = 18
Bluff: 1d20(7) + 0* = 7
Handle Animal: 1d20(5) + 4* = 9
Wild Empathy: 1d20(16) + 1 = 17
*includes favored enemy bonus



URNOTE


ReverendRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  May 13, 2011 4:48 PM | Post #22
Goblin King




On closer inspection of the coffins you find that one of the opened ones is indeed your ancestor's. The judging by the outfit 1st coffin belonged to a spell caster. Moving onto the second coffin contained nothing, but a broken up skeleton. The 3rd coffin belonged to you ancestor; you find a silver great sword hilt stripped of a few gems it once held. It almost looks like the someone had stabbed the great sword down into the stone floor through the coffin so you could only see the hilt.

You find paw print leading to a stone wall on the wall furthest from the stairs. You also notice some mostly dried blood that had seeped under the wall.



Don't blame me for what my minions have done. Blame yourself for being the target.


ÂmesangBuried Secrets  May 16, 2011 4:38 AM | Post #23
has lost the game





he was neither a cleric nor a historian, lost on the ways of cultures, honoraries, or funerary rites; but she did know a spellcaster when she saw one, examining the body laid to rest in the first opened coffin with its deep, long robes that appeared to reflect the stars that lay asleep above the clouds. The figures hands held poised a scant few inches above its chest as if it had once held something of value, perhaps its true worth unknown to the one whom now possesses it. Turning away the ranger examined the second coffin left exposed, but found only remnants of its host in the form of a shattered skeleton. Know that this woman has seen death before, experienced it first hand at the edge of her blade, but even this sight was enough to send a shiver down her spine as she contemplated her own mortality and eventual demise, a thought she tried in vain to bar from her mind. Whether she grew in strength and infamy or remained secluded in her wood, this would be her end, forgotten by the sands of time.

Much like the figure born by the third opened coffin, her own ancestor. How long has it been since its children laid this one to rest? How long since its name had been uttered by the tongues of the living? To be buried with only half the honors of this one was a fantasy she could scarcely dream, but it pained her heart nonetheless to see her forebear desecrated so heartlessly. A glimmer of hope sparked within her, however; the thought that, wherever one's soul finds rest might come with the realization that the body was nothing more than a shell for the spirit, and so long as it was the spirit that continued on in peace was all that mattered. Still, she had to question the nature of her ancestor's burial. Upon the body lay the hilt of a luxurious sword, its once glamorous countenance stripped bare of the gems it had once been inlaid with. With that once cool spark within her now burning furiously the woman grasped the hilt and gripped it with all of her might. It was then, upon closer examination, that she noticed that the hilt was still attached quite firmly to the silver greatsword beneath it, appearing to be embedded not only through both the corpse and the coffin, but struck through the very stone that lay beneath it!

Immediately another, strong shiver surged through her spine as she released her hold upon the hilt. The ranger thought back to Shensai and the family whom she belonged to. She knew nothing outside of faerie stories, but with childlike innocence she had to ask herself: could they be true? For what purpose was her ancestor skewered in such a way? Fortunately for her she had no need for new swords as her own, although worn from battle, still served her well; likewise, she was not a graverobber, and after coming face to face with the past she was not about to dishonor her kindred, even if she had grown to distance herself from her family name, taking another for her own. No, she would take her fears and heartbreak and turn it into fiery rage; and from that, focus it into white-hot strength. Eyes upon the ground she traced the broken traces of dust that littered the floor, observing the making of paw prints that moved across the ancient stone and stopped short at the wall ahead. Any hope that she might have held was further crushed at the sight of blood seeping beneath the wall, long since dried.

A question dawned on her: would a well built wall have even the slightest gap where it met the floor? Walking firmly towards the wall she placed her free hand upon it, pressing all of her strength against it. Would she be too late?



GAME: After looking over the three open coffins (she appears to be too disheartened to check the fourth), she makes a Perception check against the wall, looking for any clues that may lead her to the feline.

Perception: 1d20(14) + 8 = 22



URNOTE


ReverendRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  May 16, 2011 4:18 PM | Post #24
Goblin King




As Den pushed against the wall with 1 hand a 10ft wide section of wall moved but, by no more then half an inch. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed rock that stuck out slightly from the wall.

Upon pushing the stone that stuck out slightly you hear a click and the 10ft wide section of slides 6 inches into th other room and 5ft to the left. through this newly open door way you find the cat you have been looking for lying dead on the floor. Looking up from the cat you notice that this new room is a study. Walled with book shelfs; each one almost full of books. and there is a desk in the middle of the room with parchment on top.



Don't blame me for what my minions have done. Blame yourself for being the target.


ÂmesangTerrible Truths  May 17, 2011 5:47 PM | Post #25
has lost the game





grinding sound echoed throughout the chamber as a portion of the stone wall before her gave way, if only for a short span. The ranger's suspicions had been correct; although it required a fair amount of effort to push the segment despite her remarkable strength, she knew that an ordinary wall of such size and depth would not have allowed her to past. Only one specifically designed to accommodate the traveler would have given way so easily. Unfortunately for her, the wall's movement stopped short barely half an inch, repeated attempts at pushing against it proving futile. It was only by sheer luck that she happened to spot a protruding stone out of the corner of her eye, and her curiosity aided her once more. After pressing her weight against it, a clicking sound signaled her success as the false wall moved all on its own, sliding away from her before disappearing behind the real wall it lay adjacent to. Although she paused a moment to stretch and relax her muscles, the woman kept her senses sharp, awaiting whatever lay in store before her. What she found she would not be ready for.[/indent]

“The last time I saw my cat was three days ago when I let her out for the night.” Those were the words that Shensai had spoken to her, recalled upon seeing the sorrowful sight that nearly made her heart stop. The feline she had been tasked at finding, the elder's dear companion, lay dead upon the cold, stone floor. Instinctively she clenched her fists, tensed her body, breathing out a low, “merde…” behind gritted teeth as she realized that she was too late. As quickly as the sense of fury rushed over her it was soon gone, replaced by a calmness that came with unwanted understanding. Three days was a long time for any creature whom lacked proper food or water, and had the feline been trapped within these walls all of that time than no amount of haste on her part would've permitted her to save its life. Worse yet, she realized that this entire event was all for naught, that she could have spent it preparing herself for the tournament instead of wasting it helping someone who likely had one foot in the grave herself. She quickly cursed her lack of compassion, but still strained at the terrible realization that plagued her mind: how would she be able to break the news to Shensai?

Desperately seeking any reason to shake herself from the morbid atmosphere around her, the ranger raised her everburning torch to see that this room was very much unlike the tomb behind her. Standing against each wall rested large bookshelves overflowing with ancient tomes, filled with words and pictogrammes that were very likely beyond her ken. A desk, too, there was, positioned in the middle of the room; an ideal placement, well within reach of the shelves that surrounded it. As she glanced over the desk the woman caught sight of a parchment atop it, trying to gleam whatever meaning she could from it. Everything around her was fuel for her curiosity, her insatiable desire to grow stronger and wiser in the ways of the world. Yet just as she was readying herself to study the great works around her, she quickly fell back to reality. The shrine that sat above these chambers had closed shut upon her after descending into them and she had no knowledge of how she could make her escape. “Non…” she whispered to herself, focusing her thoughts on the situation at hand. This shrine held one of her ancestors within its confines and reacted to the blood that she had spilled upon it; if this shrine had been built to allow her kin access, certainly there would have to be a way for her to return to the outside world, as well.

After examining the parchment to the best of her abilities she gathered up the body of the feline in her arms and prepared to make her way out and back to Shensai.



GAME: Although Linguistics is a skill she is not trained in, she can apparently try and attempt to read archaic and strange forms of writing related to her racial bonus languages (Common and Sylvan).

Besides attempting to use Linguistics on the parchment (as I doubt either of her Knowledge skills will be of any use), Den'll use Perception again in an attempt to find a way out of the shrine.

Linguistics: 1d20(13) + 1 = 14
Perception: 1d20(12) + 8 = 20

(Would it be permissable to begin deleting the older rolls now?)



URNOTE


ReverendRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  May 18, 2011 5:41 AM | Post #26
Goblin King




The parchment turned out to be plans to steal the artifact that is to be the prize for the fighting tournament. The key details of the theft are to smugged to read. On the other side of the parchment contains the Pass without Trace spell(yay you found a scroll).

As you look for away out things look pretty grim. It almost seem as a trap to keep any would be grave-robbers from escaping. After about 15 minutes of searching you reach for a book with what a family crest on the label belonging to one of the deceased in the other room. As you pulled the book out of its slot revealing that its really just a block of wood with a chain. Once you pulled the chain out as far as it would go the shrine started to shake once again (DC 10 to keep balance). The chained book started to be pulled back into the slot. The door is now opened.

You picked up the cat and made it outside just before the shrine sealed itself back up. What are you going to do first? Report the plans to the authorities or bring the cat back to its owner?



Don't blame me for what my minions have done. Blame yourself for being the target.


ÂmesangLa Curiosité Est Un Vilain Défaut  May 19, 2011 10:51 PM | Post #27
has lost the game





orturous moments passed as the ranger thoroughly explored the room to the best of her ability, searching each drawer within the desk, examining the construction of each wall, even going back to muse over the markings that had been inlaid upon each coffin. The lack of clues began to weigh heavily upon her already harried mind, which had soon begun to starve for the fresh air that lay so calm and cool in the world above. She was all but ready to accept her fate as she sat on the stone floor with her back against the desk, her knees clutched close to her withdrawn face as she gazed fiercely outward, her straining body doing everything it could not to scream. As she sank deeper into despair, she looked down on the one whom she was charged to find, reaching out to caress its stilled head. "La curiosité est un vilain défaut," the woman quietly murmured, before glancing back up at the numerous books that surrounded her. Would she have enough air and strength to sit and read through each and every one, hoping, praying to find some solitary clue? What else was there for her to do? Returning to her feet she made her way over to one of the shelves, grasping at the book that caught her sight first, a thick tome that bore upon it one of the crests that marked the shrine. A peculiar sight; it appeared to be more engraved than emblazoned, and as she pulled it from the shelf she felt a hard tug come from the other side.[/indent]

If she knew how to laugh this would've been the perfect opportunity; the book was a falsehood, a block of cleverly decorated wood with a thick chain behind it, and upon pulling it the ground around her began to shake violently. Pressing herself hard against the bookshelf the ranger was able to keep her balance, watching as the book sank back into the shelf while in the distance she heard the sound of stone grinding against the earth: the shrine had reopened. Quickly scooping up the body of the feline and her everburning torch, she raced out of the shrine just as it began to close back up behind her, leaving its treasures and its secrets entombed for the next adventurer to find… save for one. Before she had begun to worry about her escape, she had taken some time to examine the parchment that rested openly on the desk in the study. Although the words that resided on the back of the parchment were archaic, she was able to recognize it as a form of Sylvan, the tongue of the Feywild. It described the means that one could pass through the world without trace, leaving one utterly invisible to the senses of those who may be tracking her. She was already adept at such careful moments within her forest home, but not so fortunate in less familiar climes. If she could fully unlock its power, the scroll would prove to be a great boon to her in the future.

On the forefront of the scroll, however, lay words of dire importance. They described a plan to steal the artifact that was to be the prize at the fighting tournament, but unfortunately for her the full details of the malicious intent had become too smudged to read. Even her understanding of the common tongue would not permit her to decipher any more clues from it, but perhaps there were those who could. Pausing a moment, she lay the cat upon the cool earth as she stuffed her crowbar and torch into her pack, carefully placing the scroll into a compartment for more fragile things after rolling it up. Gathering the feline back up into her arms she looked out at the path ahead that led back into town, thankful for the skills that would allow her to traverse the wooded terrain without leaving behind any tracks. She remembered that she had not been the only one within the shrine recently, and if any had followed her she would hope that her trek through the forest would've thrown them off of her trail. With her heart more emboldened than ever, she raced back towards town as fast as her legs could carry her, drawing inner strength from her experiences in the shrine as well as the decision to report upon the plans that she had found. The ranger would first turn to Shensai whom had been left at the tavern with her waterskin, returning her beloved to her before inquiring her about the shrine, less she turn to another for justice. With the tournament already under way, she hoped that she would not be too late.



GAME: Den succeeded on her Acrobatics (balance) check, and after leaving the shrine will return the deceased feline to Shensai before asking her about the shrine and what she might be able to decipher from the plans. If she is of no aid, Den will search for someone of authority.

Acrobatics: 1d20(19) + 0 = 19



URNOTE


ReverendRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  May 22, 2011 5:37 AM | Post #28
Goblin King




As you enter the tavern you notice Shensai out drink a tough looking dwarf. Most of the folks there started congratulating her and teasing the now unconscious dwarf.You pull her to the side to return her dead cat to her and to ask her a few questions.

At the sight of her dead cat tears rolled down her cheeks although she managed to kept most of her composure.

"The Shrine was built well over 300 years ago to honer the 4 great hero's who founded and protected this city, but back the it was only a small village. Each hero was buried there shortly after their death. The four great heros were: Denal de Blanchefort, Vinbei Lewdsins, Gan Midel, and Sailove Qual.My family became known as vampire hunters after we defeated Sailove and imprisoned him in a special coffin in the shrine. That is a story for another day though. Supposedly everyone took the secret of opening the shrine with them to the grave in order to protect those buried within the shrine.

As for the parchment I am unable to decipher it I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help.


Quest complete gain 200xp.

Where are you going to go to report the plans on the scroll? The Gate? The Arena? the Gate to the city? The castle? where?



Don't blame me for what my minions have done. Blame yourself for being the target.


ÂmesangRunning Out Of Time  May 22, 2011 5:31 PM | Post #29
has lost the game





he dark clouds rolled overhead when the ranger finally made her way back to the heart of Debolas, rushing into the tavern to find a most curious sight; the old woman she had left behind, the one whom had appeared exhausted and ready to meet her end, was now sitting at a table surrounded by a large crowd of patrons, all cheering her on as she continually out drank a stout dwarf whom bared a hardened form. As the poor soul fell unconscious, unable to match his foe, the winner looked up at the ranger with a joyful expression as she raised a mug of ale to welcome the younger woman; her face soon twisted to a pang of grief as her words began to choke within her throat, looking disparagingly upon the sight of the young woman's harrowed face. Tears soon began to careen down her cheeks as the ranger came closer, presenting her with the body of her dearest companion; but the old woman had experienced much throughout her life and was able hold back her pain, if only for a moment, as the ranger asked her about the history of the shrine, its occupants, and what she might be able to decipher regarding the uncovered scroll.

Time passed around them as history unfolded before her mind, learning more about the city of Debolas than she had previously known. What caught her attention the most was the name of one whom shared her true name, and yet at the same time was wholly unfamiliar to her. Never in her youth had her family ever mentioned the name of one named “Denal.” After all, her's was that of a humble farmstead whom bore no great heroes; perhaps, as the ages wore on, her family forgot its history as their influence in the city waned? Immediately she tried to clear it from her mind, for the past had little bearing on her present, and with her family deceased and her true name denied she was more than ever focused on living life for herself, not for some forgotten kin. That is what she would convince herself of, anyway, but if one amongst the founders had indeed become a vampire and if her ancestor was as important as Shensai seemed to indicate then she couldn't help but have the feeling that she wouldn't be hearing the last of any of this. After all, if the means to open the shrine had been so secret, than just how long had it been since someone had last been within it prior to her arrival?

“Thou shall not worry, Madame Midel; Le way in was accidental and l'exact means to decipher le process was beyond m'abilities,” she half-lied, knowing full well the truth although disdaining it as the idea of self-injury never thrilled her. “Merci beaucop, for all that thou 'ast done for moi,” the ranger added, nodding her head towards her elder. “Une, last request; le waterskin that thou 'ast borrowed. I would like to see it returned, for it would be of dire aid on le journeys a'ead.” Her quest was now at an end, and what she had assumed to have been a simple matter at first had grown into a memorable experience, one that helped not only to strengthen her mind but her spirit as well. The ranger turned to face the door that led outside before looking down upon the scroll she held within her hand, pondering her next course of action. The true authorities would be quite some distance away, and she feared that the theft would have already occurred by the time she reached them, if she wasn't already too late. She decided that the best idea was to make her way to the coliseum itself and to make contact with those whom presided over today's tournament, less they are powerless to stop this doom.



GAME: After asking for the return of her waterskin, Den will make her way to the Arena and enquire to anyone of any authorative appearance to examine the scroll and be weary of the supposed security of the artifact.



URNOTE


ReverendRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  May 25, 2011 5:18 AM | Post #30
Goblin King




Den reaches the arena and to her surprise she finds herself looking at the back of someone that looks a lot like her, but cuter. You're pretty sure you never met before. She has two rapiers sheathed on her belt a longbow and quiver on her back. Also unlike you shes wearing studied leather armor.

The woman stands there talking to the guards trying to convince them to let her in for free. Although she apparently had said something before your arrival that made one blush they hold firm in their positions not letting her through.



Don't blame me for what my minions have done. Blame yourself for being the target.


 Page 12345678910 


Bulletin Board © 2010-2018 RJM Whittaker, Schadenfreude Studios
Original BBCode Parser © 2004-2018 Christian Seiler
Original BBCode Button System © 2005-2018 Jonathan Street

JavaScript must be enambled inorder to utilize the BBCode buttons
This forum uses cookies