Schadenfreude StudiosBeta Test Welcome, Guest 
Username   Password
Forgot your password? Get a new one!
Not a member? Sign up!


Schadenfreude Studios > Pencil & Paper > Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)


ÂmesangFirst Step On The Path To Victory  July 30, 2011 3:37 PM | Post #71
has lost the game





reathing hard, eyes focused on the parapet above, the ranger's thoughts became more and more fixed upon her all consuming passion; catching the thief. Not for justice. Not because it was the right thing to do. No, it was simply because she was her prey. The fact that this was quickly becoming an unhealthy obsession had dawned upon her, there was no doubt, but she also believed that, without a goal to aim her strength and will upon, she would be lost in the turbulent waters of nothingness that occupied her world from day to day. There was peace in the wilderness, this was true; a calm solitude that shielded her from the chaos of civilization. There was also boredom and stagnation. The threats of the wild had long-since ceased to be a challenge for her, and if she could not find something to test her mettle against she feared that her fiery spirit would consume her, just as the old warrior from the past warned her it might. Now she had someone worthy of her abilities, perhaps even surpassing them, and she would make sure that this foe would taste the white-hot fury that seethed deep within her heart. With every fiber of her being burning as she climbed one foot of the castle wall after another, the ranger knew that, as close as she was to her prey, she couldn't let another moment slip past her fingers.

Gritting her teeth, she summoned up all of her inner power to charge forward, commanding all of her muscles to push past the pain and climber further, faster. She was almost there…



GAME: Den accelerates her Climbing, making two checks as a full-round action (since each should be a move action by itself). If she can successfully scale the rest of the wall, she'll attempt to pull herself up and over onto the parapet.

Climb I: 1d20(19) + 12 – 5 = 26
Climb II: 1d20(13) + 12 – 5 = 20



URNOTE


ReverendRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  July 31, 2011 3:33 PM | Post #72
Goblin King




"Accelerated Climbing: You try to climb more quickly than
normal. By accepting a –5 penalty, you can move half your
speed (instead of one-quarter your speed)." page 91 core rule book. I presume that mean only one check is necessary so I'll just use the first roll.

Den easily scales 10 feet. Leaving 1 foot to go.


"All you need to do is travel about 30ft straight then take the first path on the right. It looks small, however once you step inside it's humongous." The elf quickly said.

Now make haste for we don't wish to be caught. The dwarf rushed to say.


Out of Game: How has this castle not been invaded before? How does a kobold look like he belong in a castle?



Don't blame me for what my minions have done. Blame yourself for being the target.


KidakRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  August 1, 2011 12:02 AM | Post #73
Member




Thanks again kind sirs. Reptar replies as he moves toward the church on foot as to try and not draw attention to himself.
________________________________________________________

OOG: by being diplomatic and kind hopefully :P




ÂmesangReaching Her Goal  August 1, 2011 6:28 AM | Post #74
has lost the game





ust one more foot to go. She was almost there. Just one more foot closer to her prey. This was it; all she had to do was reach for the top of the parapet and pull herself up and over. Once she was there she could get a better look at the castle's top floors and find the very same window that figure had entered through. After that, it was only a matter of time before she tracked down that thief and cornered her, made her pay for all that she had done up till this point. With thoughts firing rapidly through her mind one after another the ranger then began to question her future actions: just what was she going to do if she succeeded in capturing the thief? Would she fight her to the death, or simply attempt to knock her out so as to bring her safely to the authorities? Perhaps she could simply start a conversation with her, figure out why the thief had gone to all of this trouble and even learn a thing or two about the shrine and the history of Debolas and Sailove, if she were lucky.

Then again, with her luck, the ranger might find herself in a trap and wind up dead, utterly forgotten except as just another foolish brat whom had bitten off more than she could chew, so to speak. Wise men have said that for some it is the path, not the goal, and she had to agree that this hunt had been rather thrilling; to think that, if it ended with her still alive and the thief soundly defeated, she would have to return to the doldrums of her placid lifestyle again. No, not while the fire within her still burned, still sought prey as fuel for its insatiable lust for strength and glory. After all, this thief was just one target out of many; somewhere in this vast world there were other foes for her to conquer, none of whom she would experience without finishing this last foot of her trek. Reaching out with her sore and straining arm, the ranger attempted to grab a-hold of the parapet just above her head…

…And grabbed only loose bricks for her troubles. Immediately her heart leapt into her throat as she found herself hanging on by just a single hand, the other reaching out for air as her eyes stared out with a hint of fear behind them at the hard ground beneath her. Her's was a rugged form and could withstand a fall from such a relatively short height, but that wouldn't mean she'd come out of it unscathed. Such was not the time to be enveloped by mortal terrors, however; as she had often told herself before, she had not come this far just to fail now. The momentary fright in her glance was quickly replaced with the anger and determination that came from enacting upon her self-hatred, as she swung the free arm back upwards to once more grab a-hold of the wall she clung so carelessly to. This time, she would not sacrifice safety for speed and fall for such foolishness again. This time, she could climb the wall a bit more leisurely.

After all, there was just one more foot to go.



GAME: Den attempts to climb the remainder of the wall; if she is successful, she'll attempt to pull herself up and over onto the parapet, gathing up the climber's kit before making her next move.

Climb: 1d20(11) + 12 = 23

OUT OF GAME: How had it not been invaded before? Perhaps the same reason that no one has appeared to try and make off with the artifact before? It could very well be that, with what appears to be many of the great heroes long dead, the city of Debolas has grown quiet and complacent.

Now if recall, adventurers are supposed to be these once-in-a-generation, super awesome Aragorn type of people (note, according to most stats given for shotguns, you could inflict a point-blank range, max damage critical hit on Den and not only will that not kill her, it won't even knock her out; she actually has the chance to just walk away and sleep it off… well, sleep it off with a week's worth of rest, anyway; and she's only 3rd-Level). My point is, you bring this many far-greater-than-the-average types into one place then something is bound to happen.

(I had already mentioned over the phone about Stockbridge, Massachusetts, in which apparently the biggest crime in the last fifty years had been singer/songwriter Arlo Guthrie and his friend being arrested for littering. I'm starting to see Debolas as sort of being a fantasy version of that, in a way.)



URNOTE


ReverendRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  August 2, 2011 5:33 PM | Post #75
Goblin King




As you both set foot beyond face of stone wall, you both feel a gentle and warm pulse of a strange power.


Den climbs over the last bit of wall, and collects up her climbers kit. As you finish gathering up your gear you notice a odd translucent floating greatsword. It almost seems not to be there, but its giving off that strange aura. Th head of the sword looks spoon like and it has ten holes running down the blade. You have a strong urge to grasp its hilt.


Reptar walks through the gate. You notice beds of flowers on either side of the walk way. About 20 feet in you notice a odd translucent floating longsword. It almost seems not to be there, but its giving off that strange aura. Th head of the sword looks spoon like and it has ten holes running down the blade. You have a strong urge to grasp its hilt.



Don't blame me for what my minions have done. Blame yourself for being the target.


ÂmesangSecond Guessing Herself  August 2, 2011 6:26 PM | Post #76
has lost the game





fter what had felt like an æon the ranger had finally managed to clamber up the side of the castle wall and reach the top of the parapet; being sixteen feet high in the air gave one quite a view of the surrounding lands, or at least they would have were she not so busy catching her breath. The young woman knew her strength and even then she cursed herself for having such difficulty with such a relatively easy task. Still, she couldn't feel too sorry for herself; it had been some time since she had done anything similar to this, as trees and rugged mountains could hardly compare. Sitting herself down upon the cool, stone structure she stretched out one leg and kept another tucked close to her, dislodging her waterskin from her person for a refreshing drink as she fruitlessly tried to calm her troubled spirit. As she gathered up the climber's kit and returned it to her pack she couldn't help but feel rather disgusted at herself regarding her assumptions towards the thief. From the evidence that she had gathered together so far, the ranger mused that the thief had to have been the captain of the guard, and while she didn't doubt that foul folk often put forth a kindhearted facade, she couldn't help but ask herself a simple question: why?

The artifact was to be the prize at the local tournament, which appeared to indicate that it held great importance if not vast worth. Then there were the plans, found inside a shrine that appeared accessible to only those sharing one of four special bloodlines, which she believed the thief to belong to since she was the one whom stole said artifact. One of these bloodlines apparently belonged to a vampire whom had been imprisoned within the very same shrine inside of a special coffin. So, why had the artifact been stolen? To aid in the release of this vampire, no? No… perhaps that wasn't it. As captain of the guard, would that woman not have been tasked with the safety of those within the castle, and likely those without? If the captain were indeed the thief, than perhaps she stole the artifact not to use it, but to prevent its use? After all, there was still that other warrior skulking about, the one whom had injured Shensai's feline. If he had entered the tournament, as the ranger had first believed, there was always the chance that, had he won and were truly vile, he might have used the artifact to the detriment of all. If what she was thinking of were true, than everything that she was putting herself through would prove to be a falsehood, a crime, and she would have to answer for her deeds; yet the only way she could know the truth is if she were to confront the thief and question her directly.

Biting her lower lip the ranger cringed as the soreness within her mind quickly grew worse. There were so many factors that she did not know, so many assumptions that she was making, and all for a city and a history that she had little to do with. None of this was her business, but her spirit cried out for battle and excitement, wanting to find adventure outside of her quaint, little wood. If anything, the sensation within her soul was growing stronger with each passing moment, quickly enveloping her fragile form. No, these feelings were different; warm, soft, yet wholly unnatural. Looking around her the ranger found the source of this eminence: a vision of a greatsword appeared before her, translucent like stained glass, its hilt bearing the imagery of a spoon with ten peculiar holes running down its length. Although the young woman had experienced more in her youth than most folk, this was something quite unknown to her. What was worse was the fact that the more she gazed upon the vision, the more she desired to reach out and grab it, taking it for her own. What was the history behind this sword, and the castle that it was contained within? Did her hunt for the thief and the artifact pale in comparison to this? Was there far more to this world that her young mind could ever realize?

Deep within her heart of hearts she struggled to stay her hand, tried to stay grounded in reality, yet it appeared to move all on its own, her calloused fingertips reaching out to lightly caress the sword's hilt. Just a little more, and it could be her's…



GAME: Den gathering up her gear and stopping for a little rest and refreshment, Den notices the greatsword before her. Although she tries to rest its allure, it is proving to great to resist as she attempts to grasp its hilt.

Will Save?: 1d20(11) + 3 = 14



URNOTE


KidakRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  August 3, 2011 7:05 AM | Post #77
Member




Reptar Examines the sword with detect evil before attempting to do anything else with it. if it isn't evil he will attempt a Knowledge religion check to see if he knows about this weapon.



will save? 17+5=22
Knowledge religion 17+7=24
detect evil is standard action I believe for basic knowledge of if it is evil.




ReverendRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  August 3, 2011 3:24 PM | Post #78
Goblin King




Den fails the will save and grabs the swords hilt. As she grabs the the sword it appears to solidify in her grasp; no longer is the sword translucent. The sword seems to way as much as your other sword, but the metal is made of a uncommon metal. The sword itself is of masterwork quality. You feel slightly dizzy for the round and you have the feeling that you lost something, you have yet to acquire. Den stumbles from the dizziness.


Reptar resists the urge to grab on to the longsword. The sword does not give off an evil aura, and from what you can tell this sword came from the ethereal planes.



Don't blame me for what my minions have done. Blame yourself for being the target.


ÂmesangFinding Oneself  August 4, 2011 5:25 PM | Post #79
has lost the game





mptiness. Emptiness had been growing deep within her soul as of late. An emptiness, she believed, could only be filled with the excitement and intensity that came by testing her abilities by ever greater challenges; yet from whence did this emptiness first emerge? Why could she not feel contented with her life in the wood? There was peace and relative safety there, away from the chaos of the world; who could ask for more? This woman was no philosopher, no seer of visions, and she could only guess as to the why this emptiness had occurred. Were her mind clear at this moment, able to see without bias, she might guess that she had lost something long ago, something she might not even have been aware was lost at all. The fact that something was lost at all, however, meant that she was not whole, and that the emptiness left behind had to be filled with something. Adventure, battle, excitement, coming face-to-face with death and standing triumphant over its shadow… she tried desperately to believe that that would be enough. No, it was never enough; once one challenge had been conquered, another, greater difficulty had to be found to take its place. When would it end? Could it end? Would she not forever seek these challenges until her dying breath, only to continue on in the hereafter?

Yet when her hand had grasped the hilt of this floating sword, her mind came to a sudden sense of ease; yes, grasped it, for as soon as her flesh had touched its visage than did it solidify into something real and of exceptional workmanship, something not of the dreaming world. She moved it gently through the air, getting a feel for its weight and form. It seemed little different from her own blade, yet the ranger was familiar with steel and cold iron and silver… and this sword was made of neither. Whatever it was, it felt comfortable in her tight grip, inviting to her warrior's heart, perhaps the very thing that could quench the fiery temperament that burned inside of her. Unfortunately for her, the sense of ease was growing unceasingly, engulfing her until sight and sound traded places and her mind seemed to leave her body. Stumbling forward the ranger lost herself to the feeling, forgetting even her own location or even the land that she resided in; but not her purpose. With great strength of will, she pressed the edge of the blade against the stone surface of the parapet to steady her body while she, in turn, steadied her nerves with memories of the past. The thief was still out there, her prey still on the loose, and because of this she knew that the emptiness that lay growing inside her could not yet be abated. At least not until she finished this task.

As the world around her settled its movements she took a moment to reexamine the blade in her hand, pondering as to whether or not it would serve her in battle as well as her own had done. She would soon find out, as her eyes then began to focus on the landscape and architecture around her, seeking out the very same window she had seen that mysterious figure enter through or, barring that, some other means for which she could enter fully into the castle. Making sure that she had everything she had brought with her, she took a new step forward…



GAME: After Den recovers from her dizzy spell and examines the greatsword, she looks around to try and find the window that the figure had climbed through, and if failing that she tries to find another way into the castle proper. If she is successful in either attempt, she'll gather up everything she has with her and make her way as best she can to that point.

Perception I: 1d20(8) + 8 = 16
Perception II: 1d20(4) + 8 = 12



URNOTE


KidakRe: Pathfinder: Locair (3rd Level)  August 5, 2011 6:22 AM | Post #80
Member




Thinking that the sword is a trick of something greater then him Reptar walks past it and makes sure not to touch it while he moves to his destination.




 Page 12345678910 


Bulletin Board © 2010-2018 RJM Whittaker, Schadenfreude Studios
Original BBCode Parser © 2004-2018 Christian Seiler
Original BBCode Button System © 2005-2018 Jonathan Street

JavaScript must be enambled inorder to utilize the BBCode buttons
This forum uses cookies